- Smt. R. Sreelekha IPS, IG-Crime Branch, Kerala, spoke to the students on Ethics in Management, on January 28.
- Smt. Sunitha Karodt, GM-HR, Orchid Hotels India, Mumbai, made a presentation to the students on the topic preparing for and Facing Interviews, on February 3.
- Dr. Joe Madrath, Founder and Executive Director, Gramavikas, Orissa, made a presentation to the students on Challenges in Rural Management, on February 12.
- Shri.Anil Kumar Pillai, Senior Manager – Technical Services, Madras Cements, Chennai, interacted with the students on the topic Cement Industry in India, on February 15.
- Shri.N.P. Thirukude, Brand Consultant, Thiruvananthapuram, interacted with the students on Brand Innovation, on February 16.
- Shri. Manish Srivastava, Regional Head (South), Reliance Money, spoke to the students on the topic Training to Meet the Challenges of Finance Management, on February 20.
- Dr.C.Mohankumar, Director, SCMS Institute for Bioscience and Biotech Research and Development, Cochin, made a presentation to the students on Bt Brinjal Research – Is it Abnormal or Extraordinary?, on February 20.
The third stake holder workshop of the multi-country research project, DelPHE project, is being organised at the Institute of Finance Management in Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania, between February 23 and 27. Representatives from partner countries, Tanzania, Ghana, India and UK, will be attending the workshop. The workshop will review the learnings from the pilot field work done in the three countries and suggest modifications in the instrument. The data collection template and data collection strategies will also be formalized in these meetings. Academics and experts are expected to attend the conclave.
Dr.Ram Mohan R., Director-Research and Training and Prof. Mercia Selva Malar, HOD-Insurance and Banking, will be representing SCMS-COCHIN, the lead partner.
SCMS-COCHIN has been honoured with the Innovative B School Award, for the year 2009-2010, instituted by Business School Affaire, Mumbai. The award is in recognition of the outstanding innovative leadership of SCMS-COCHIN in Building Academic and Industry Interface.
The award was received by Dr.V.Raman Nair, Director, SCMS-COCHIN, from Shri. Jigmi Yoser Thinley, Prime Minister, Bhutan, at the award ceremony conducted at Taj Lands End, Mumbai on February 12.
According to Dr.Raghavan Iyengar, Professor, North Carolina Central University, USA, who came down to teach a three credit course on Financial Reporting and Analysis at our campus during last December, under our faculty exchange programme, the students at SCMS-COCHIN are a “fabulous lot.” His feedback on his impressions reads as follows: “I wish to let you know how much I was impressed by the facilities, resources and most of all the students at SCMS-COCHIN. As you may be aware, I have a pre-existing medical condition that makes it hard for me to stand up and deliver lectures for more than an hour or so continuously. But the students’ enthusiasm, dedication, respect for education and high regard for the teachers made me shrug off the pain.
It was truly a delight teaching the students at SCMS-COCHIN. They were a fabulous lot and made my job far too easy.”
Dr.G.P.C.Nayar, Chairman, SCMS Group, has been elected as the new National President of the Federation of Associations of Private Unaided Professional Colleges in India, at the annual general meeting of the Federation held in Hyderabad on January 6. The Federation has 8600 member colleges spread over 18 states. Dr.Nayar’s unanimous election to the national presidential position was in recognition of his exemplary track record as the founder President of the Kerala Self-financing Engineering College Managements’ Association in establishing the absolute right of the private unaided institutions in Kerala in the matter of admissions and fee fixation. In addition to the Kerala Self-financing Engineering College Managements Association, Dr.Nayar is also the founder President of the Association of Self-financing Management Institutions in Kerala and the Association of Self-financing Technology (MCA) Institutions in Kerala. After taking over charge as the new President, Dr.Nayar said that the AICTE was ignoring the fact that 97 percent of the professional colleges in the country belonged to the private unaided sector. Any action on the part of the AICTE to implement their new stipulations in regard to faculty requirement and new pay scale would result in total chaos in the professional education sector in the country, he pointed out. Around 10.65 lakh students are studying in the unaided professional institutions in India today. The Prime Minister and HRD Minister are well aware of the problem of faculty shortage not only in private institutions but also in Government institutions. It is reported that the Government institutions including IITs and IIMs have 52 per cent shortage in the matter of faculty.
We deeply mourn
We, the management, faculty, staff and students of SCMS Group of Educational Institutions deeply mourn the sad and untimely demise of PGDM Batch 17 student Manu Chandran, son of Shri. Padmakumar, Kalakyat House, Mannar, Alapuzha District. He died in a road accident on January 24.
The entire SCMS family joins the bereaved family of the deceased in their hour of grief.
Dr.C.K.Rajan, Professor-in-charge, Chair on Global Environment Change, presented a paper on ‘The utility of meteorological data in research,’ at the Users’ Conference on Public Weather Services for Kerala and Lakshadweep, organised by Meteorological Centre, India Meteorological Department, Government of India, Thiruvananthapuram, on January 20.
Talks by various eminent speakers
- Shri. Ross Masoor Padiyath, Executive Director, The Great India Tour Company, gave a talk on the opportunities in tourism in India, on January 1.
- Shri.Sukand Ramachandran, Principal Consultant, Boston Consulting Group. London, gave a lecture on the topic Collateral damage: Impact of recession on industries, on January 8.
- Shri.Varkey George, Director, SHAWCO, South Africa, made a presentation to the students on the topic Social Entrepreneurship, on January 11, .
- Shri.Anil Kumar, Assistant Vice President-HR, Binani Zinc, Binanipuram, addressed the students on ‘Transformation of industries with special reference to Carborundum Universal. The talk was organised on January 15 under the auspices of HUMANE, the HR Forum.
- Smt.R.Sreelekha IPS, IG Crime Branch, Government of Kerala, talked to the students on ‘Business and Ethics,’ on January 28.
A book written by Dr.Appala Raju, Professor and HOD, titled ‘Marketing of Banking Services: A Strategic Approach for Competitive Excellence’ has been published in English and German by VDM Publishers, a German Publishing House. The book is marketed across the US, the UK, and other European ountries.
Visitors from Germany
A delegation of students from the University of Applied Sciences, Weingarten, Germany, visited SCMS-COCHIN on January 4. Dr.G.P.C.Nayar, Chairman, SCMS Group, addressed the visitors. The visitors had separate interactions with the faculty and the student community at SCMS-COCHIN.