We deeply mourn
We, the management, faculty, staff and students of SCMS Group of Educational Institutions deeply mourn the sad and untimely demise of PGDM Batch 17 student Manu Chandran, son of Shri. Padmakumar, Kalakyat House, Mannar, Alapuzha District. He died in a road accident on January 24.
The entire SCMS family joins the bereaved family of the deceased in their hour of grief.
Nisha bags First Rank
Nisha Peter of MCA first Batch from SSET has bagged the University First Rank in the MCA final examination conducted by MG University in October 2009.
Placement activities of 2010 batch of B.Tech. students started off with Infosys Technologies organizing a recruitment drive on January 8 at SSET campus. 22 students drawn from various branches were selected for placement.
HCL Infosystems, Spectrum Softech Solutions, Poornam Info Vision and Galfar Engineering and Contracting SAOG, Oman have scheduled their recruitment programme to be completed before the end of February.
Infosys campus connect programme
Shri. Niju P. Joseph, Assistant Professor(MCA) and Smt. Viji Gopal, Lecturer (CSE), attended the faculty empowerment programme organised by Infosys as part of their campus connect programme, held at Amrita Vidyapeedham, Vallikkavu, Kollam between January 18 and 22.
- Shri.P. Venu, Associate Professor (ME), presented a paper ‘Global remote quality function deployment object’ at the International Conference on Advances in Industrial Engineering, held at Anna University, Chennai from January.6 and 8. The paper was guided and co-authored by Prof M.Madhavan, Director, SSET.
- Smt. K. Deepa, Assistant Professor-MCA, presented a paper ‘Software refactoring’ at the seminar on ‘Recent advances in computing’ held at U.C. College, Aluva from January 19 to 21.
- Shri Anand Raj Hariharan, Assistant Professor (ME) presented a paper, ‘Thermal mixing analysis of three lobed clover nozzle’ at the International Conference on Materials, Mechanics and Management, held at College of Engineering, Thiruvanathapuram from January 14 to16.
- Smt. Anita G.. Pillai, Associate Professor CE) and Shri B. Manoj Kumar, Assistant. Professor (AU) have obtained MXLA certification in pursuit of excellence in engineering. education through innovations as a part of Mission 10X Programme of Wipro Technologies.
- Shri B. Manoj Kumar, Assistant Professor (AU) has been included as an expert member on the panel of Arbitrators by Consumer Disputes Redressal Forum, Ernakulam.
- Shri.M. Dhileep, Assistant. Professor (CE) presented three papers at the International Conference on Materials, Mechanics and Management, held at College of Engineering, Thiruvananthapuram, from January 14 to16. They are: (1) Effect of rigid content on mid frequency region of response spectrum, (2) Effect of global and local variations of strength of concrete in dynamic response of machine foundations, and (3) Assessment of seismic pounding hazard for Phuentsholing City.
Sanjay Raj (S6CS) has secured third place in the popular music programme Gandharva Sangeetham of Kairali TV.
NSS technical cell
An anti narcotics awareness programme was organised for S1 and S2 students on January 21. The function was conducted in collaboration with the evening news paper flash from Kerala Kaumudi Group. Shri. K.Mohanan , Deputy. Commissioner and Shri. Anil Kumar, C.I, both of them from the Excise Department, Government of Kerala, Shri. Mahesh, Bureau Chief, Kerala Kaumudi and Dr. Rajith Kumar, Educational Counselor, NCERT, were the resource persons.
- Smt. Sharlima, Lecturer, presented a paper titled ‘The effect of dividend announcements on stock returns of selected Indian companies’ at the International conference on Emerging Financial Markets held at PSGIM, Coimbatore on January 4 and 5.
- Smt.Hasnath Abu, Assistant Professor-MCA, presented a paper ‘Identifying topical micro logging experts’ at the National Conference on Advanced Computing conducted in U.C.College, Aluva, from January 20 to 22.
- An article by Smt.Marianne Simon, Lecturer, titled ‘Addressing the issue of employee obsolescence’ has been published in HRM Review, January2010 issue.
- An article by Smt.Tilly Chacko, Lecturer, titled ‘The best practices of HR in service sector: An SME service industry’ has been published in HRM Review, January 2010 issue.
Dr.C.K.Rajan, Professor-in-charge, Chair on Global Environment Change, presented a paper on ‘The utility of meteorological data in research,’ at the Users’ Conference on Public Weather Services for Kerala and Lakshadweep, organised by Meteorological Centre, India Meteorological Department, Government of India, Thiruvananthapuram, on January 20.
The research team of SIBB-R&D participated in the 97th Indian Science Congress held at Thiruvananthapuram from January 3 to 7, and presented three papers in three different sections of the congress.
- A paper titled ‘Identification of a novel lactoferrin variant in milk of Bos indicus Vechoor breed’ was presented by Smt. Anisha S., Dr. Anu Yamuna Joseph and Dr.C.Mohankumar in the section, Animal, Veterinary and Fisheries, as an invited lecture.
- Another paper titled ‘Molecular charaterisation and phylogenetic analysis of two UDP-glucosyl transferases (UGTs) in Stevia rebaudiana’ was presented in the section Agriculture and Forestry Science by Shri. Harish M., Dr.Suma Arun Dev and Dr.C.Mohankumar.
- Yet another paper titled ‘Sequence analysis and expression profiling of omega 3 fatty acid desaturase gene (GmFAD3C) from Indian cultivar soybean JS385’ was presented by Shri. M.D.Rajesh, Dr..Sona Dev and Dr.C.Mohankumar in the section New Biology.
Talks by various eminent speakers
- Shri. Ross Masoor Padiyath, Executive Director, The Great India Tour Company, gave a talk on the opportunities in tourism in India, on January 1.
- Shri.Sukand Ramachandran, Principal Consultant, Boston Consulting Group. London, gave a lecture on the topic Collateral damage: Impact of recession on industries, on January 8.
- Shri.Varkey George, Director, SHAWCO, South Africa, made a presentation to the students on the topic Social Entrepreneurship, on January 11, .
- Shri.Anil Kumar, Assistant Vice President-HR, Binani Zinc, Binanipuram, addressed the students on ‘Transformation of industries with special reference to Carborundum Universal. The talk was organised on January 15 under the auspices of HUMANE, the HR Forum.
- Smt.R.Sreelekha IPS, IG Crime Branch, Government of Kerala, talked to the students on ‘Business and Ethics,’ on January 28.
A book written by Dr.Appala Raju, Professor and HOD, titled ‘Marketing of Banking Services: A Strategic Approach for Competitive Excellence’ has been published in English and German by VDM Publishers, a German Publishing House. The book is marketed across the US, the UK, and other European ountries.
Visitors from Germany
A delegation of students from the University of Applied Sciences, Weingarten, Germany, visited SCMS-COCHIN on January 4. Dr.G.P.C.Nayar, Chairman, SCMS Group, addressed the visitors. The visitors had separate interactions with the faculty and the student community at SCMS-COCHIN.
DelPHE project workshop in Ghana
Dr.Mercia Selva Malar, HOD-Insurance and Banking, attended the partnership workshop of DelPHE project held at University of Cape Coast, Ghana, on January 7 and 8, as the representative of the lead partner, SCMS-COCHIN. The workshop was an attempt to fine tune the research methodology to be adopted for the DelPHE project, the multi-country research project. in microfinance bagged by SCMS-COCHIN from the Department of International Development (DFID), UK.
Representatives of the other three partners like University of Central Lancashire, UK, Institute of Finance Management, Tanzania, and YAALEX Investments, Ghana, also participated in the workshop along with the professors of the University of Cape Coast.
Dr.Mercia also participated in the Annual Conference on Microfinance organised by the University of Cape Coast on the theme: Beyond Existing Microfinance- What next?
There was also a visit to Yaalex Investments Ltd., the partner institution in Ghana.
Prof. Pramod in IIM, Ahmedabad
Prof. Pramod P.Thevannoor, Director, SCMS Group, participated in the Management Development Programme, Innovating for Excellence: Programme for Leaders in Management Education, held at IIM, Ahmedabad, from December 14 to 19, 2009.